- WHAT IS HAIR POROSITY?
Porosity refers to the hair’s ability to absorb and retain moisture.
- TYPES OF HAIR POROSITY?
There are basically three (3) types of hair porosity namely; low, medium and high.
Below are each type of hair porosity characteristics.
- The cuticle of the hair is usually tight
- Resists moisture – making it difficult to moisturize hair
- Resists essential conditioning oils
- Prone to build-up
- The cuticle of the hair is looser
- Retains moisture
- The cuticle of the hair has holes which allows a lot of moisture to enter the hair strands
- Absorbs moisture and loses moisture quickly
- The cuticle of the hair is damaged due to heat, weather conditions, brushing or chemical processes
- Prone to breakage
- Hair is dry
- Hair is prone to frizz
- HOW TO DETERMINE THE POROSITY OF YOUR HAIR
There are a number of ways in which to determine the porosity of your hair, but the easiest method called the ‘floating hair test or water test’ is most commonly used.
The floating hair test is performed as follows:-
- You would need a couple of clean strands of hair. Place the strands of hair in a glass or bowl of water.
- Let the strands of hair remain in the glass or bowl of water for a few minutes, preferably 2 to 4 minutes.
- If your hair remains floating, you have low porosity hair. If your hair sank, then you have high porosity hair.
- MANAGING THE POROSITY LEVEL OF YOUR HAIR
- Clarify your hair – Since low porosity hair is prone to build-up it is extremely important that you clarify your hair with shampoo on a regular basis.
- Deep Condition – Deep conditioning with heat works well for those with low porosity hair. Heat caps, hooded dryers and steamers work well in getting the deep conditioner heated enough so that the hair cuticles are lifted allowing moisture to enter the hair strands.
- Make use of water based moisturizers.
- Do not moisturize wet hair but damp hair.
- The usage of heat should be kept at a minimum.
- Deep conditioning with heat is not necessary.
- Occasional use of protein deep conditioners can be beneficial.
- Use hair milks and lotions to moisturize hair.
- Deep condition on a regular basis.
- Use heavier products.
- Make use of protein treatments. You can use a light protein treatment in between the month and a heavy protein treatment monthly based on the health of your hair.
- Ensure that you seal you hair with an oil or butter.
As always happy, healthy hair journey!