Dusting is where you take off little pieces of hair (1 inch) or less if your hair doesn’t need to be trimmed but you want healthy ends. Trimming is where your ends may be damaged, you want a change or just want to cut your hair, but you take INCHES off. Dusting can be done regularly if your ends are super healthy, and you don’t experience breakage other than that I would not recommend it. We think we have healthy ends sometimes and dust when in truth we just didn’t go high enough and we needed a trim.
HOW OFTEN YOU SHOULD TRIM OR DUST
This simply depends on if you are dusting or trimming and how damaged your ends are. If you are dusting once a month is fine to remove straggly ends. If you take a good trim you won’t have to trim you hair in months. This varies from person to person depending on the health of their hair.
WHEN SHOULD YOU TRIM YOUR OR DUST YOUR ENDS?
Now I am inserting 2 pictures below. If your hair be looking like THAT? Come on that in no dusting need to be done lol
These pictures clearly indicate hair which needs to be trimmed not dusted.
Signs to know when your hair needs trimming:
- See through ends like the pictures above
- Single stranded knots
- Hair is not manageable, tangles and breaks a lot
- Texture change at the end, it’s rough, dry and doesn’t retain moisture
- For some depending on how your hair grows the density of your twists. If they start thick and drastically decrease along the length of the hair they need to be trimmed.
- The ends of your hair doesn’t curl.
- Split ends
TIP: When trimming your hair trim above the damage not below as indicated on the pic shown.
WHY KEEP ENDS MOISTURIZED?
- Prevent breakage
- Retain length
- Healthier hair and ends
- Reduce trimming or dusting