The LCO and LOC are both common moisturizing methods for natural hair. However; although effective, experimentation is needed to find a suitable method which enables you to retain moisture for long periods of time depending on your hair type. They are among the most popular types of methods but there are other methods of moisturization you can research as well.
1. It takes some time to see results (Sometimes a month or more).
2. Don’t be fooled. Beware of hair products which contain glycerin high above in the product’s ingredients The nature of glycerin based products is to perform the act of adding moisture to the hair from the atmosphere when it is humid. However, if it is not humid (or the humidity is decreased to a point where it is uncomfortable for hair) then there is nothing from the air to add to the hair which means that when the product has finished evaporating all the moisturizing agents from your hair it pulls from the hair’s strand cortex itself leaving hair dry. However, in my country I have to use the products that are based on availability, location and price.
3. Don’t use products that sit on your hair that will not be absorbed into your hair
4. Don’t mistake oils for moisturizers. Oils are sealants that lock moisture into the hair. With the exception of some oils such as coconut oil which penetrate the hair shaft, they will not moisturize but seal moisture into the hair and slow down the evaporation process. Water based products are best to moisturize natural hair, as water is what our hair loves. Also be aware of sealing with light oils such as coconut oil because it may be too light of an oil to seal in moisture.
5. Relative to the LOC and LCO method knowing your hair’s porosity is important. High porosity hair types usually need heavier oils whereas low porosity hair types may need lighter oils.
6. Both methods do the same action for your hair, its the layering of products which are different. Due to this some hair types will prefer or benefit from one method over the other. Try to choose a method based on your hair needs.